Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Document Management Document Link Broken

Home Forums eaDocX queries Document Management Document Link Broken

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jason Blewitt
    Participant

Been using the Document Management function for a while now with the multi-doc generation piece to generate 47 linked documents – normally in groups of 10 (or all at once if I’m feeling really brave) and have found it really great for the most part.

The issue I’ve been having, which has been very prevalent due to lockdown, is that something about the link to the document from within EA seems to get corrupted during the multi doc process if anything interrupts the connection whilst it is running.

My set up:
    Document management linked documents are stored on a shared network drive
    Diagrams with groups of 10 documents used for each run
    Fairly basic templates pulling out process flows and creating a number of tables

The issue appears to happen when the multi-doc process is run and the connection to the shared drive isn’t active – whether that be because someone has forgot to join the VPN or their connection drops for whatever reason. The outcome of this is that a bunch of errors pop up and most, if not all, of the documents from the set can no longer be opened via the eaDocX document element, the version elements disappear and the actual physical document cannot be re-added to this process. We’ve had to recreate the documents from a fresh template every time this has happened.

We’re now considering removing the Document Management functionality as the overhead of recreating these documents is too large, but figured I’d post here in a last ditch attempt that I’ve missed something obvious!

eadocX Support
    Participant

Could you list the steps you are taking to generate the document sets?
    I can try to reproduce the issue, but I’m not holding out much hope – getting this function work at all was hard, and making it cope with an unpredictable network connection will be really hard.
    What I can check is where in the process we make the connection between the EA element and the physical file: maybe we can make it earlier, before the document has completed generating, which might give some protection if the network connection is down.
    Anyway, let me know the steps, and I’ll have a look

Jason Blewitt
    Participant

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Fully appreciate this won’t be an easy one as this is very far removed from normal processing parameters.

Steps as follows:
    – open document set diagram (this contains 10 doc elements)
    – right click and choose to generate all documents via menu options
    – Choose to increase Build number only
    – Generate all

I think we saw the issue before when someone didn’t update the repository location on their machine within the eaDocX repository settings, so that might be one way to duplicate it without needing to rely on an unstable network connection.

It looks as if the connection between the element and the physical file is being lost once eaDocX determines it cannot successfully find / connect to the file. Seems odd at this point that the tool appears to choose to remove the link rather than just stop trying and presenting an error message.

eadocX Support
    Participant

OK Jason – I’ll dig into this a bit. You’re right – it does seem like odd behavior.

eadocX Support
    Participant

Also – are you doing on the latest v4 release? That’s what I’ll be looking at, and I know there were some changes to opening/closing word docs in the latest release.

Jason Blewitt
    Participant

Yeah, most of us are on 4.2, although a colleague hit the issue on 4.3.0.3 yesterday.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download